Thursday, May 7, 2015

Floral Shirtdress - McCall 6600

Mixed Emotions - McCall 6600
I love shirtdresses: they are so versatile! You can dress them up or down, button them all the way, or part of the way, or wear them entirely unbuttoned as long jackets. The sleeves provide sun protection, but can be rolled up for a more casual look. I could easily envision a closet full of shirtdresses, in all types of fabrics and for every occasion. Add a cardigan, and you're set!

Mixed Emotions - McCall 6600

Blue and green are one of my favorite color combinations and I fell for these deep, rich colors. The blue is a bit purply, which I think makes it even more interesting. Bright, happy colors are wonderful for spring, but I also love wearing DARKER shades because they are unexpected and add a bit of drama. However deep in hue, this cotton fabric is very lightweight, so it feels nice and airy.

Mixed Emotions - McCall 6600
I've made this pattern BEFORE and I love the fit and style. This time I wanted it to button all the way down, so I added a button band. It's more like a shirt this way.


The pattern comes with a rather wide sash, but I feel more comfortable wearing slimmer belts. So I made a very long narrow sash that I can wrap twice around my waist. I can also wear the dress unbelted for maximum comfort.

Mixed Emotions - McCall 6600

I also added side-seam pockets, which I reinforced with bar-tacks.



With these few changes, I think I've come pretty close to my ideal shirtdress. Now I need to make more! I love the feeling of having one type of garment that is such a no-brainer, I could wear it every day for the entire season. It makes it so much easier to get dressed in the morning. What's your go-to garment?

Mixed Emotions - McCall 6600


20 comments:

  1. Sara it's so beautiful and the colour combination is smashing! The fit is spot on too. I love a shirt dress too, but haven't happened upon my perfect one yet. My go to outfit .... Hard to say, but it's likely to be covered in stripes.... 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sarah! I have such a problem with stripes, I can't explain why. I love them on others, but have a lot of trouble wearing them myself for some reason. Maybe something I need to work on overcoming. A striped shirtdress would be fabulous, wouldn't it?

      Delete
  2. Your shirt dress is perfect, the colours are wonderful! My go to outfit are may tewo Robe Sureau, Deer+Doe, and the Emery Dress.
    SaSa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Those are both lovely dress styles!

      Delete
  3. Your classic shirtwaist dress looks great and be a workhorse for sure! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Summer! I expect it will get a lot of wear.

      Delete
  4. Such a beautifully made garment Sara. The colours are so lovely on you x I'm looking forward to a few more variations from you in different colours and fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Caroline! I'm thinking of other variations right now. I have other projects on queue as well, of course.

      Delete
  5. This is fab! I don't have a shirt dress yet but I am dying to make one. They look so comfortable and chic at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! That's the wonderful thing about shirtdresses I think. Even in the most casual fabrics, they always look put together, I think.

      Delete
  6. It is dramatic yet casual at the same time! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it is perfect! … the fabric is simply beautiful …the fit and all the little mods are spot on - I love love the pockets. Right now my go-to garment is ... pants :( I am trying so hard to upgrade to dresses or skirts but in the end when I dress in the morning my first stop is the pants rack ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sasha! I wear pants all the time in the winter, but when spring comes, I like to feel a breeze on my legs :)

      Delete
  8. Sara! Once again you eye for both pattern and fabric matching is impeccable! Love it! You look really stylish in everything you sew up

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so devine! And that fabric is so gorgeous- classic and elegant I'd say. I totally agree, shirt dresses can be dressed up or down, I love them done up all the way.

    ReplyDelete