Thursday, January 29, 2015

Birthday Dress - Vogue 1422



Vogue 1422, Tracy Reese

My daughter asked me to make her a dress for her birthday and I was overjoyed, because really, it's so much more fun to sew pretty dresses than my usual boring basics. I would sew more for her if she'd let me, but I have learned that she'll only wear the clothes she has specifically requested. And the things she does ask for, she tends to wear a lot. She picked the pattern, Vogue 1422, a Tracy Reese design. She was attracted to the classic style which reminded her of Audrey Hepburn. She also picked the fabric, a silk blend cloqué in very bright shades of pink, shot with silver threads. She has always loved pink and I love that she hasn't outgrown it!


The pattern is designed with an organza underskirt in addition to the lining. I skipped the underskirt because, even though the fabric is rather outrageous, this is meant to be an everyday dress. She'll wear it to school or wherever she likes and it needs to be washable. The pattern also calls for different types of lining for bodice and skirt. I lined everything in Bemberg.

Vogue 1422, Tracy Reese

When I first muslined the bodice, it looked like a shapeless sack. I had to completely reshape it and ended up making three muslins. Although she is tall, my daughter has a petite torso and the bodice needed to be shortened a lot. The pattern has lengthen/shorten lines at the waist, but I had to take tucks in the upper chest and upper back as well, and also take in the shoulder seams. The back waist needed to be taken in quite a bit, and after playing around with the back waist darts, I ended up drafting princess seams instead, which also solved another issue: gaping armholes. You might spot the princess seam here:


Here's what the wrong side of the fabric looks like. It is backed with very fine synthetic threads that melt at the touch of an iron! Also this fabric frays like crazy, so I had to serge all the edges as soon as I cut them.


It feels so good to be sewing and blogging again after a long break (I was very busy). I'm thinking of spring now and planning some seasonal transition projects.

Last year I sewed her a shirt, which you can see here if you like : Birthday shirt


31 comments:

  1. The dress absolutely beautiful! Your work definitely paid off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes it felt like a lot of work, but it was worth it in the end :)

      Delete
  2. Definitely your daughter! What a beautiful girl. And that dress is so lovely and elegant. Love the colours and fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie! I think so too (that she's beautiful :) )

      Delete
  3. Wow, this is a stunning dress. The fabric is making me reconsider my neutral color palette!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Morgan.!I love cheery colors, especially in winter, and they can be lovely as accents in a neutral wardrobe :)

      Delete
  4. Such a lovely dress… and that fabric! She looks simply beautiful … radiant! Now that you are back I can’t wait to see what you have in mind for this spring wardrobe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sasha! It's nice to be back :)

      Delete
  5. What a delightful birthday dress! The colour is stunning and you have fitted the dress beautifully with those princess seams. What a lucky daughter - and happy birthday to her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Caroline! I'm really beginning to like princess seams better than darts. They are ideal for fitting, and getting dart points to lay flat can be such a nightmare!

      Delete
  6. gorgeous!!! It fits her perfectly and is just pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So glad you like it :)

      Delete
  7. Really lovely, I'm sure your daughter will enjoy wearing this dress a lot. I still have a dress my mum made for me over 20 years ago, and although I don't wear it, it's so nice to have. I have V 1421 underway, and I'm finding that the armscye depth is very low on that pattern as well. You've encouraged me to keep on with the muslin, your end result was well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chloe! Honestly at first it kind of felt like I was shaping a bodice out of a gob of clay. V1421 is a gorgeous design and I look forward to seeing your version of it!

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful dress for your poised and lovely daughter! This makes me look forward to spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! And I feel like sewing spring clothes is the perfect antidote to winter :) thank you Patricia!

      Delete
  9. That is a beautiful dress! I've not seen fabric like that and it's gorgeous. You ended up with a perfect fit even though it sounds like you had to basically redraft the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jillian! The facbric really is gorgeous in real life. It does feel like I redrafted the

      Delete
    2. Oops! It does feel like I redrafted the bodice but the skirt at least was perfect as drafted ;)

      Delete
  10. Wow! Just stunning, both the elegant dress and your beautiful daughter too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So lovely - it's great that she'll get lots of wear from it especially after all your hard work. Such a cheery fun fabric. Glad you're back on the machine! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it would be a shame to save it for "special occasions" :)

      Delete
  12. Oh my. What a beautiful daughter and dress. Lovely fabric and your work is, as always, exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  13. She is beautiful and the dress is gorgeous. I love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lucky daughter this is beautiful, The shape and the fabric are a fantastic match. Your Daughter looks lovely in this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This dress is beautiful! may we pin it to our fan gallery on Pinterest? http://bit.ly/1DrN5Iq Email us at blog@mccallpattern.com.

    ReplyDelete