Thursday, December 18, 2014

Magenta Wrap Cardigan


I love this color!
It's amazing the effect colors can have on one's mood. Putting on a bright sweater helps take the dreariness out of winter.


This is based on McCall's 6559, the same pattern I used here, but with even more modifications.
I originally cut it the same way as my yoga wrap, but this jersey being more stable and less drapey, it just didn't work as well. I decided it needed more structure and added bands and ties.
I still have mixed feelings about ties on a cardigan. For me, a cardigan should be easy to put on and take off, and ties tend to be fiddly. At least in this one, I don't have to thread them through any loops. Plus the fabric, a fine wool/cotton blend is lightweight enough that I can wear it all day and forget about it. If it were heavier, I would want to take it off as soon as I step inside.
I can also tie it up more tightly like a traditional ballet wrap. It would work well this way worn as a top, with nothing underneath.
My ties are just long enough to come around to the front in this case. I couldn't make them any longer than this as my fabric isn't very wide and I already had to piece them at the side seams.



This cardigan is entirely constructed on the serger. The only slightly complicated part was figuring out how to manage the transition where the band becomes a tie. Here's how I did it (I wouldn't be surprised if there was a better way): The band is folded lengthwise, then serged onto the cardigan. So this part of the serging ends where the body of the cardigan ends. The tie parts are then serged inside out, going only so far as to leave enough of an opening to turn them right side out. Finally, the opening is slip-stitched shut. Does this make any sense at all?


I left the edges of the sleeve openings at the wrists raw. I like them that way.

What are your favorite winter brights?







26 comments:

  1. What a stunning colour! The perfect antidote to grey winter weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sam. This color always makes me smile :)

      Delete
  2. I really like this! The color looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a vibrant colour, works beautifully with your complexion! Perfectly made and looks so comfy. I’m affraid my winter is going to be pretty much grey … hmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Grey! I think it's really soft for Winter. What I've been working to get away from is black, which definitely does not work with my complexion.

      Delete
  4. Really nice! I have a red cardy I got at a charity store that has a similar construction - wear it ALL the time - Would love to make one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ruth, and that's good to know about your cardigan. Kind of validates my improv ;)

      Delete
  5. What a gorgeous colour, Sara! It suits you so very well, as does the cardigan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great colour on you, Sara! I´m not really a fan of ballet cardies but yours is so beautiful!
    Have a nice Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so murch Merche! A very merry Christmas to you too :)

      Delete
  7. It is an amazing colour on you and it's made so beautifully, as ever. In winter I love red, hot pink and mustard - one definitely needs pops of colour! Sara would you mind if I used one of your Malu picks on my blog in a roundup of my favourite makes for the year? It's ok if you'd rather not. Thanks so much and have a great Christmas. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! Of course you can use my pic, I'd be honoured!

      Delete
  8. Great top! I keep forgetting that I have this pattern. And want to make it in a marigold knit :-) As for winter brights, well, I just never stop! Somewhere in the last couple years I picked a few pieces of grey knit, I guess I was feeling sophisticated...but have been using it for muslins and giving away the results. I just cannot wear grey.

    Wishing you and yours a lovely holiday season - Coco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Coco! I wouldn't wear any grey either if I lived in Florida ;)

      Delete
  9. THAT is my favorite winter bright. i just adore that shade. beautiful wrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased you like it. I bet it's a great color for you too!

      Delete
  10. This colour loves you too! you look absolutely amazing :) It's a really cute little cardigan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super hot colour in the middle of winter and the fit looks so comfy and stylish on you.
    Cerise is one of my favourite colours - I have chosen it as a lining for my 80% finished 1960's style coat. Just need to complete it and I can show you the results x

    ReplyDelete