Friday, November 28, 2014

My Winter Uniform: Slouchy Pants and Sweater.

Burda 7250

This is my favorite combo for winter. The concept of having a style uniform has been very popular lately, well here is mine: a pair of slouchy pants and a sweater. It's what I was wearing most days last winter (alternating with my sack dresses), and what I want to wear this year as well. I love the track pants everyone has been sewing, but I don't think they are as versatile as a classic pair of pants, and honestly, these are just as comfortable.

Burda 7250

The pants are Burda 7250. I've sewn this pattern several times before, and made a number of modifications along the way. My last pair had all the alterations I want for this pattern, so this time around I was able to simply pull it out, cut and sew it up without any changes.

Here's how my pants differ from the original pattern:
- shaped waistband rather than straight
- front slant pockets
- single welt pocket in back
- legs narrowed slightly
- length added so they scrunch up at the hem.



The fabric is a stretchy wool blend which is extremely comfortable, and has a nice heavy drape. However, it tends to snag really easily. I have some pulled threads to show for some of the pinning I did during construction. These pants are bound to age quickly, unfortunately, but I will get as much wear as possible out of them.
Have you seen pictures of Vivienne Westwood with her pilling cashmeres and threadbare skirts? I really admire her for that. I find her attitude so refreshing, when all the style "gurus" seem to be telling us that we must constantly be sorting through our clothes and getting rid of anything that basically doesn't look new.


The sweater is a Fitzpatterns Kate batwing top (unfortunately no longer available on their website).

Update: I couldn't find the Kate Batwing top on the Fitzpatterns website, but you can download it for free here!
Note: for this top, I added a neckband and cuffs, which are not included in the pattern. And since this a slim batwing, it's very important to use a knit fabric that stretches both ways.

 I have made so many tops from this pattern! I love that the sleeve is a rather slim batwing, and it sews up really fast.
I used a wonderful wool/mohair double knit which has a soft and slightly fuzzy surface. I bought this fabric several years ago in Paris and originally intended for it to be a wrap dress, but I soon realized it was too soft for that. I think you need a knit with a bit more structure for a dress, especially in a color like this. So it took me a long time to come around to the idea that it had to be a top (or two tops, I have enough left for another). It was a bit of a let-down at first but I'm happy now. Realistically, this sweater will get a lot more wear than a peach colored dress would have.

Burda 7250

22 comments:

  1. I really love the beautiful colour combinations and those pants look very comfortable indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look fantastic and comfy all rolled into one. What a perfect combo. I love those styles right now. Lovely colours too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there! Great combo: pretty, classy and comfy! Love the soft colours and that welt pocket! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Merche. Best wishes to you :)

      Delete
  4. So effortlessly chic Sara … you look great! I love those pants … I want those pants... I could steal those pants from you! perfect fit … perfect drape. … charcoal grey, antique pink, and nude - love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sasha, but you make the best pants... I'm flattered :)

      Delete
  5. I've made almost exactly the same changes to this pattern (well, in addition to massive fit fixes!) You look effortlessly stylish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds...;) Thank you Morgan!

      Delete
  6. Lovely combination. I have a similar style arc trouser pattern on my list. Your welt is beautiful too. You look fabulous in that peach too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sarah. I've never tried Style Arc, but I'm keeping an eye on their new downloadable patterns. It might be a great to try out their fit.

      Delete
  7. You always look so wonderfully chic! I have no idea idea how you make dressing so very stylishly look so very comfortable. This combination is so great on you and I love the shape of those pants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jillian! I think for me the formula that works best is is to combine tried and true silhouettes with nice fabrics :)

      Delete
  8. Lovely - and a big thanks for the link to the top, never enough knit tops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Coco! I'm so glad that pattern is still available somewhere. It is one of my best basics :)

      Delete
  9. So chic as always, I love the peach and grey together. I might have to buy the pants pattern, it's quite similar to my TNT Burda 7017 but a more more smart and tailored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Katie! 7250 has a lower waist which I personally prefer. It seems to me most Burda pants are meant to sit on the waist.

      Delete
  10. effortless. And I love the color of your sweater. It makes the cold weather not seam so cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much! I do think a color like this can make you feel warmer :)

      Delete
  11. You always look so wonderful in your clothes: comfortable and chic, the perfect combination.

    ReplyDelete