|Dolores Batwing Dress|
I love this dress and have already worn it a couple times in the past week. I no longer have any doubts about the fabric. I'm actually pretty smitten with these crazy tile shapes.
When I measured the pattern, I found it had negative ease around the hips, so, since my fabric, a double knit, didn't have very much stretch, I cut two sizes bigger. Of course, I sewed it up and ended up trimming it back down to my size. But, you know, if I'm not making a muslin, I'd rather give myself a little room for adjustments, even in a knit, rather than cutting something and finding that I cannot wear it. So, in the end, the sizing was perfect, no mods needed.
I like my dresses to be knee length, but this may be just a smidge too long... The fabric is heavy and it seems to grow a bit. I might slice off an inch or so.
See my wings:
You might have noticed it's similar in style to Last Week's Dress. What can I say, I love these relaxed dresses! This is my version of sweatpants I guess... I like to be comfortable, but I still want to feel pulled together. I'd say the major difference between the two patterns is that this one was designed exclusively for knits and the Cynthia Rowley pattern is for either knits or wovens, so it has much more ease in the skirt and sleeve bands. Also the sleeve shape is actually quite different and the neckline here is more of a boatneck. I'll probably use this one for knits and the C.R. for wovens in the future.
I made a matching slim belt with metallic beads at the end. I almost always make these to go with my knit dresses. I don't always wear them together, but I like to have options. Last week's dress also has its belt, though I chose to wear a leather belt for the pictures.