Thursday, October 9, 2014

Cynthia Rowley dress and Blog Hop!

Cynthia Rowley, Simplicity 2472
I like having a bunch of loose jersey dresses that I can wear over my yoga gear (so I'm always yoga ready!) and look presentable while feeling comfortable all day. Here I used Simplicity 2472, a Cynthia Rowley pattern, and I made it up in a cotton jacquard knit.

Cynthia Rowley, simplicity 2472

It's a very quick and easy make, but there are a couple details which I think make it special: the neckline frames the collar bones nicely, and I like the balloon shape of the sleeves, which are gathered into loose fitting bands. I also like that it can be made in wovens, which is how I'd like to make it next time.




There really isn't much else to say about it, so as I continue to show you views of the dress, I'll move onto the blog hop now :)

I was tagged by my dear Sasha of fruits,flowers&clouds. She and I started blogging at the same time and we connected immediately. I have watched her, in less than a year, grow from beginner sewist to WOW!!!, So yeah, watch out for this ragazza! (Thank you Sasha :))

Why do you write?

I started blogging because I knew no one else who sews, or at least not with the same passion I felt for the craft, but I'd been following amazing sewists on the blogosphere and I wanted to take part in the fun! I can say that blogging has changed the way I look at what I do. It has given me some very welcome breathing space between myself and what I'm making, helping me to step back and see the bigger picture. I don't want to just churn out garments one after the other. I want a more conscious approach. To keep in mind how everything fits in together and  build something that feels consistent with who I am.

Rue Sainte Catherine is the longest pedestrian street in Europe!

What are you working on?

I've just finished making SoZo's Dolores Batwing dress, which I love, and can't wait to show off. Right now I'm working on a pair of cigarette pants and I've put a lot of effort into the fitting end, so I'm hoping they will fit.

How does your blog differ from others of its genre?

Well, I'm not there yet. I want to put more of all the different stuff I'm interested in here. Art, style... So far, I think it only represents a small portion of me. I admire bloggers who have a wider scope.

How does your writing process work?

Well, not much to say here. When I have something to write about, I sit down and write :)


I used the wrong side of the Jacquard because I love how textural it is.


So here are the two bloggers I would like to pass the torch to:

Carolyn of Handmade by Carolyn. I have admired her for years, long before I started blogging. She has that overall vision! She not only sews everything in her wardrobe with great virtuosity and refinement, but she follows her own, very personal course and has been building a beautiful wardrobe of very unique clothes that couldn't be mistaken for anyone else's but her own. I find her approach very inspiring.

Marie of Imaginary Animals. I've only been aware of her for a few months now, but I love how her blog really functions as a window into her creative world. She's a wonderful artist, makes the prettiest clothes and have you seen her gorgeous sewing space?

Cynthia Rowley, Simplicity 2472
A Bientôt!




22 comments:

  1. Gorgeous dress, the fabric and details make it special. Pretty backdrop too, must visit Bordeaux(?) sometime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Katie! Yes Bordeaux is a beautiful city and South Western France is a beautiful region :)

      Delete
  2. That jersey is fab! I enjoyed reading your blog hop answers too! Looking forward to seeing your Dolores, I adore that pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marilla! Yes, that jersey was a nice find.

      Delete
  3. Thank you Sara for your kind words :) When I saw the first project you published, the slouchy pants, I thought I want to learn to sew like that. Since then I've been constantly amazed and challenged by your skills and your taste.
    Beautiful dress !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sasha, you talented girl!

      Delete
  4. I agree that blogging should be about a conscious approach to sewing and consumption; you can really tell when that's not taken into consideration. Loved reading your answers.
    The dress is really lovely - the texture of the fabric really makes it! I don't usually like belted blouse-y shapes, but that belt is wonderful and looks really naturally styled with the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cotton+jaquard+knit? That must be heaven! I need some NOW :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nilla! It was a lucky find :)

      Delete
  6. The dress is lovely! And gorgeous photos, too. :-)
    Thanks so much for your kind words and for choosing me to continue the hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary, and you're very welcome :)

      Delete
  7. It looks beautiful and comfortable which surely is a winning combination?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore that fabric! I'm such a sucker for a brocade. It always lifts a garment in a sumptuous way. And the dress looks gorgeous, so effortlessly chic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a chic dress! I think your decision to use the other side of the jacquard is inspired and resulted in a beautifully unique texture. You always look so elegant and ladylike in all your creations, so I am thrilled to have found you too. Thank you so much for passing the baton on to me, and for your lovely kind words about me too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sara, that is such a stylish dress and the way that you have tied the belt really sets it off - very chic! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the dress you've made, it's exactly the type of thing I like to wear myself. I'm always on the look out for easy patterns so I'm going to check this one out some more. I liked learning more about you through the hop also.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I often end with Yoga or gym shorts and sports bra under my clothes, because I forget to take my underwear to the gym. I really like your philosophy of blogging. It would be most interesting to read your take on other things. I find myself becoming somewhat political and slightly controversial over time. Clothing is not really separate from the whole of society and its culture.

    ReplyDelete