Tuesday, September 30, 2014

New Look 6314 from Scraps

New Look 6314 Colorblock sweater

I wanted to make this last winter but never got around to it. I had these beautiful wool knit scraps leftover from making a cardigan for my husband and a dress for myself. Neither was enough for anything, but combined, they could be a sweater. I had forgotten about this project but when I saw some of the amazing pieced creations from Scraptember, like Katie'sMorgan's and Debbie's beautiful makes, I felt inspired to dig up those old scraps and finally sew them up.



Please ignore the wrinkles on the sleeves. I should have ironed them out, but I hadn't noticed! Please ignore the cat hairs too while you're at it. Oh, my!



I used New Look 6314 which is a new pattern for fall. It's a nice slouchy style and I made no alterations for fit. I was going for a pretty simple color blocked effect: black sleeves / marled blue body, but there wasn't enough of the blue, so I added a strip of black at the top of the back. I also had to add a center back seam because of the shape of my scraps (I topstitched those seams on the coverstitch so they lay flat). I think those modifications add interest to the garment, which goes to show, restriction can be a good thing!



The neckband is made from the reverse side of the marled blue which is a gorgeous silver and I'm so happy to show it off because it was completely hidden in the dress I made last year from the same fabric. I love that dress too and I'll try to get some pictures when I unpack it for winter, since it was never blogged.

New Look 6341 Colorblock Sweater

This was a really quick and easy project. Knit garments can be so fast to put together on the serger and so stress free. I just love making them!

31 comments:

  1. As usual you have made something that I would like in my wardrobe! Great use of scraps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's quite a compliment :) Thank you Marilla!

      Delete
  2. I love the way you put those scraps together! The colorblocking and the different textures elevate it from the garden-variety "get it anywhere" sweater to interesting and cool! Great as usual :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A brilliant use of scraps. I have made a few things solely from scraps and have found that it really challenges your creativity and is very satisfying. I suppose it's how people used to sew years ago in times of austerity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! The challenge of make it all work together makes it even more satisfying in the end.

      Delete
  4. This is a great way to use those bits that are never quite big enough for anything else. I love all these colours and the way you have placed them. I have some scraps that are begging for a project like this, unfortunately mine don't look so good together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tamsin! I guess combining neutrals is the safest way to play it. Combining colors would be more of challenge but I'm sure it's doable.

      Delete
  5. Great slouchy eased top! I have this pattern on my wish list as well...my remnant bin is getting so full.

    ReplyDelete
  6. p.s. I was thinking of splitting the front and making a cardigan. The shorter view would be really cute as a cropped cardigan as well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! And I bet the shorter length would work really well with skirts and dresses.

      Delete
  7. Perfect comfy top for the cooler weather. Love the back details.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous use of scraps. The colour scheme is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the topstitching. I definitely takes it up a notch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really did the topstitching for practical reasons, but I agree with you, it does add interest :)

      Delete
  10. Great sweater! I love that it does not look too scrappy/upcycling project...

    ReplyDelete
  11. You'll get so much wear out of this! I wear my snuggly wool makes constantly! It looks great with all the piecing - fantastic use of scraps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! Yes it's very comfy so I do expect to get a lot of wear out of it.

      Delete
  12. WOW! This is stunning!! SO glad I picked this pattern up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a great pattern :)

      Delete
  13. fantastic! it looks like an expensive designer garment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Quality fabrics do make a difference.

      Delete
  14. Fabulous, I love navy and black together and the lighter neckband really lifts it. It doesn't look like scraps at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katie! It feels very tame compared to your dress, but still, it was a step out of my comfort zone :)

      Delete
  15. The center back seam looks like a well thought out designer element :) Your sweater looks very comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Comfy and elegant. You always look so chic in your creations :)

    ReplyDelete