Thursday, September 4, 2014

Green Twist Dress

McCall 5484


This is McCall's 5484, an out of print pattern that I have sewn before, maybe 5 years ago, and that old dress is still one of my favorites. It always comes with me when traveling because it's versatile, unfussy and flattering, I think. I was actually wearing the old dress when I went to Mood on our trip to NY and one of the things I was looking for was fabric to make another one of these. So I picked up this rayon matte jersey which is beautiful, has a lovely drape, but it turns out is a bit too heavy for this style. In spite of my swayback adjustment that I had already worked out for my first dress, the fabric fell plumb straight away from my back because of its weight. I should have taken before and after pictures, but see this side view?


Imagine the fabric falling straight down from my shoulders to my butt instead of following the contours of my body. Not flattering, and not comfortable because of how it pulled down to the hem. The front is fine thanks to the under bust twist seam, and because I stabilized the neckline, but I had to come up with a creative solution for the back, so I added an elastic casing.

What do you think? I'm calling it a design element. The original design of the back is really quite boring without it anyway, and it does its job of keeping the dress snug against my back and taking some of the weight off the hem.

If you like green dresses, here's another one I sewed last spring: Classic Shirtdress

30 comments:

  1. Stunning color … the line of the dress is so very feminine and relaxed with a retro chic vibe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sasha! It does have a bit of retro vibe, doesn't it? I'm glad you could see that :)

      Delete
  2. So lovely on you, and a great solution. Sway backs are so frustrating. I'm sure I never used to notice such things though when I was buying RTW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree about swaybacks. that's why sack dresses can be so convenient some times. Just put a belt on it and you're good to go :)

      Delete
  3. What a gorgeous colour! Your trick for the back is working well - it provides a nice bit of definition. I've done something similar on a floaty cotton top that just wanted to pouff out at the back, sometimes a bit of elastic is a life saver!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chloe! I was kind of afraid the elastic would look too much like a cheap fix, but I like how it turned out in the end :)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful and the casing is a brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the colour and I think the casing is what it needs to break the boring long back piece. I think you have improved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. The backs of dress patterns are often boring aren't they?

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous! The casing works to solve the problem you were having and looks great from a design point of view too. I call that a win!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As usual a great job in getting a great fit. Love this colour on you Sara and I think the length on this is just right. You look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Simple and elegant are the words that come to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. good save! And I love this color! nice job :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Je trouve ta robe superbe!
    Le nœud devant rend très bien, contrairement à mes tentatives pattern magic/Burda qui me faisaient un gros ventre. Je vais chercher ce patron de ce pas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci Sylvie! Je trouve en effet que la coupe de ce patron est bien étudiée et le devant tombe bien.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful! You do such great things with solids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Morgan :) I love prints too, but feel drawn to solids for fall.

      Delete
  12. Gorgeous!
    Would you mind me featuring any of your projects on SSB? I credit, link to your post and let you know when featured.
    https://facebook.com/sassysewingbees

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sassy! And sure, I'd be honored :)

      Delete
  13. Wow! What fun dress! Very well made and you wear it well too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks. I will keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Featured on Sassy Sewing Bees as previously agreed https:///sassysewingbees ❀

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a brilliant idea. I had the same problem with a Tilly pattern called Coco - unwearable - I wish I thought of this. I ended up putting in two double ended darts in the back from my Colette Laurel dress and that helped, but I prefer this look.

    ReplyDelete