Thursday, August 21, 2014

One Last Summer Dress

Burda Dress 128-06/ 2013

Just before we left for the States, I decided my travel wardrobe wouldn't be complete without a lightweight jersey dress. So I started making this one, but ran out of time and finally finished it when we got back home, after the jet lag wore off. Of course, I didn't really need this dress on our trip. In fact, it never got terribly hot, so I wore mostly skirts or loose pants with long sleeved shirts.



The pattern is #128 from the June 2013 issue of Burdastyle, and I used a rayon jersey. I generally find rayon jerseys too unstructured for dresses, but they can work well in loose styles such as this. It was a very easy make. My modifications were to raise the elastic waist casing because I don't like too much poofiness in that area and I had to take in the bodice at the sides quite a bit.



So, I'm done with summer sewing till next year. Looking back, I think my makes this season have been quite consistent, even though I never set out with a formal plan. If you know yourself well enough, there is no need for worksheets and mathematical formulas. I find it much more satisfying to follow my intuition and sew what I need as I go along. This past season, I let myself indulge in this blue and grey phase I was in, and the result was a very versatile wardrobe that was perfect for travel.


See some of my favorite summer blues here: Nettie Bodysuit + 90s Sarong, here: Comfy Linen Pants, and here: Floral Cynthia Rowley Top.


26 comments:

  1. Love the print and the styling. The linear cut is so your style and very flattering on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great fabric! I love it with the belt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made the same dress (and then re-made it!), but I like yours so much better! My cotton was way too poofy and I too ended up removing quite a bit from both side and shoulder seams. Now I'm totally jealous of yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your version! It's great that seemingly very different dresses can be made from such a simple pattern :)

      Delete
  4. Wonderful as ever, and love the double loop belt. I love belting dresses - so much more chic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This dress requires a belt. It seemed unfinished without it.

      Delete
  5. i love everything you made during this blue&gray phase! i really love how your dress turned out (and thank you for reminding me of that pattern, i actually traced the pattern out of magazine, wanted to make it, and then completely forgot about it)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's such a quick and easy dress to make, you shouldn't hesitate!

      Delete
  6. I love the print of this jersey, the colour looks great on you! Nice shoes too! X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, understated and chic. Great print and lovely styling Sara.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful as usual!! I want your belt...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I got the belt on sale at COS last summer.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful dress! I think I need to go through a blue and grey phase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm moving on to other colors now...

      Delete
  10. So pretty. I've enjoyed your grey/blue summer garments. I was actually inspired to purchase a piece of royal blue fabric, and I seldom wear blue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Coco! I can't wait to see what you make with it!

      Delete
  11. Dang, that is a pretty dress. The whole outfit is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I missed this one. Lovely! I definitely have to copy next summer. :) Love the fabric choice, styling and the photos...as always, great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like it Stephanie. It's a very easy make. I recommend it :)

      Delete
  13. Beautiful! Where did you get that perfect fabric?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Erika! I got it at a shop here in Bordeaux called Toto tissus :)

      Delete