Thursday, August 28, 2014

Big Coat Inspiration


Big Coat -- Mixed Emotions blog

I like to start with a coat, because to me, a coat or jacket is the element that really pulls a wardrobe together. I want my coat not only to make a statement, but I want it to work with all the silhouettes I am likely to wear in the coming season. Last winter, I realized that the coats in my closet didn't really work with my slouchy pants. If you wear a short coat with wider pants, it will cut across your thighs, and chances are it will make you look stumpy. I looked at a lot of runway photos and I find that knee length or longer is a much more flattering  length. Check out my Big Coat  Pinterest board for some of my faves.
I plan to use this Burdastyle pattern:

Burda 08/2010-102

I love the shoulder detail (no set in sleeves!), wide lapels and overall roominess. I've already started on a muslin and I think it will work just as well with or without the tie belt. Of course, I really want to use my green wool from Mood, but it isn't very wide, so I'll have to come up with a creative way of laying out the fabric for the sleeves to be long enough. I hope it works, because even though it's still summer, I can't wait to wrap myself in its cozy goodness. Do you get as excited about sewing coats as I do? Marilla plans to make 2 this winter. How inspiring!


16 comments:

  1. Oh, this is so lovely, I want to make your coat now! Maybe you could take the style line of the front sleeve and mirror it on the back, so that there is a seam there. It would still look really cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please join me :) It would look great in camel if that's what you're thinking. I'll think about adding a seam in the back, but it might emphasize my wide shoulders too much.

      Delete
  2. The shoulder detail really is beautiful! And I think it's a great idea to copy it to the back as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this pattern is a great design. I really like the way the muslin came out, so I will make this pattern even if I have to use a different fabric.

      Delete
  3. Lovely pattern! I've never made a coat, but I'm trying to squeeze a little wool vintage jacket in before the season changes to spring here. That green will be amazing on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the sound of a vintage jacket :) I look forward to seeing it!

      Delete
  4. Looks exciting! I love big coats right now. I have my heart set on a red one...may have to ask Santa for that fabric though ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, you would look amazing in a big red coat, and you're so tall, you could make it really long!

      Delete
  5. It would look great in the green wool fabric you’ve got from Mood. I love your way of planning your wardrobe! I might have to take some lessons from you ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take notes at the end of every season so I'm ready for the following year. People who don't sew might think that's crazy, but I know my sewing friends will understand ;)

      Delete
  6. Beautiful drawing! All of my winter coats are on their last legs, so this really needs to be the year I bite the bullet and sew one up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Morgan :) sewing a coat can be time consuming, but it's so rewarding!

      Delete
  7. Sorry if I end up leaving several comments...I seem to be having trouble with wordpress! Love this, Sara. I can't wait to see it made up. The drawing is lovely, too. Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pattern and plan. I love big coats, even though I am in Florida I plan to sew the manteau Gerard and the Malu this winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Coco! Those are really nice patterns. I look forward to seeing both your coats!

      Delete