Tuesday, June 3, 2014

My Me Made May was Blue and Grey

Burdastyle free Kimono Tee

I'm so glad I participated in Me Made May! The flickr group was like going to a month long party where you get to meet so many lovely and talented people from around the world! I had no idea what to expect going in, but I must say, though it's a little bit of an effort posting a picture of yourself everyday (and I admit I skipped a couple), it was absolutely worth it.
Thank you to all the participants for welcoming me and being so supportive. Truly, as a relatively new blogger, I'm still discovering how wonderful the home sewing community is.

Me made May gave me the opportunity to be more mindful of what I wear and how I wear it. My wardrobe is about 50% handmade so it's interesting to see how this balances out from day to day. I do wear jeans a lot and my jeans are RTW. So there were days when I had to resist the urge to put on jeans with a store-bought sweater. Here I wore handmade denim trousers instead:

Burda 01/2011 pants

Colors:
One thing I observed during this month long experiment, is that I have pretty successfully moved away from black, and toward blue and grey instead. I like grey because I find it peaceful and comforting and blue just seems like a natural for Summer. It is airy and refreshing. Though they don't make me look ill like black does, blue and grey are not my best colors. However, they are great neutrals and mix well with all the other colors in my wardrobe, and in the right shades, I can make them work with my complexion. I think Green and coral suit me best, but I generally wouldn't wear them from head to toe, except in a dress, like this:

Butterick 5472

Silhouettes:
The other thing that interested me was to see which silhouettes feel the most like me. And taking a picture of your outfit everyday can really help with that. Here was one of my favorite silhouettes. Nothing spectacular, but I really feel comfortable in this:

Fitzpatterns Kate top + Burdastyle Michelle skirt

Seeing this picture reminded me of how much I love Burdastyle's Michelle skirt, so I went ahead and made another. I wore the new skirt on the last day, but the picture I posted doesn't show its true colors (the fabric is difficult to photograph) so I want to take more pictures before I show it to you.
My other favorite silhouette, of course, is slouchy pants worn with a sweater.
Did you participate in Me Made May, and what has it taught you about your wardrobe?

More Me Made May pictures here: My Peacoat

11 comments:

  1. Sara, Your style is inspiring me right now! The silhouettes that you wear are ones that I love (although my best silhouette is probably a pencil skirt, as I don't have much in the hip department and this gives me some shape). I also have issues with black and have gravitated to blue and grey as basics, and likewise with a bit of warmth in my hair and skin I tend to look best in green. I have to check out the Michelle skirt pattern. I also love the pant silhouette you've chosen. Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephanie! One thing I really love about the Michelle skirt is that it has no waistband and I find that particularly comfortable in the Summer, when it gets hot and sticky.

      Delete
    2. Michelle skirt pattern purchased. I just need to find some nice fabric to make one this weekend. Thanks for the tip. I like that it's full but not excessively so and the lack of waistband is a nice feature.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful style....! simple lines, a refined color palette and the carefully chosen fabrics... your clothes are clearly mindfully hand crafted as opposed to sloppy home made !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sasha! I used to get excited about sewing more complex patterns, but If find it doesn't interest me so much anymore. I really value simple shapes now.

      Delete
  3. It was great to have you in MMM. Loved watching your photos every day. You´ve been of great inspiration and I think you are one of the most stylish sewists I´ve ever seen. So glad you have a blog!! So I can carry on taking notes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Merche! It means a lot coming from such a stylish lady as yourself!

      Delete
  4. I had a great time doing MMM too. I didn't get involved in the Flickr group but was Instagram every day. I was really excited to show off things I've made over the years to the sewing community. I love your trousers! I want to make a pair like that now. Blues and greys are some of my favorite colors too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth! I'd kind of forgotten about those pants, but dug them up for MMMay.

      Delete
  5. I wore a LOT of blue and grey during MMM too. I didn't really realise before as blue isn't really favourite colour, so it's quite strange! It was also an interesting exercise in silhouettes for me. I really love your slouchy denims with the peach sweater, so chic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blue was never my favorite color either, but it's working out to be a great neutral. When I do make pieces in my favorite colors, they always seem to work well with the blue, much better than black which can create too harsh a contrast with bright colors. So it makes sense for me to have a lot of blue in my closet.

      Delete