Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Yoga Wrap


I love the look of ballet wraps, but they are not very practical. The straps get in the way, having to thread them through a slit is a nuisance, and you have no other choice but to keep your cardigan closed. I wanted a more practical version to wear to and during yoga class, and a fitted tie cardigan seemed ideal.
I used McCall 6559 for this, but I wanted to be able to wrap it at waist level. Version A was too short and version B would wrap at your hips, which seemed less flattering and not at all practical for practicing yoga. So I used version B and shortened it above the ties by about 10 cm. Now I can wear it at the waist as well as up high.


Getting fancy: as a bow:)


I can leave it open. The ties don't get in the way too much.

This is how I will wear it most: wrapped at the waist. I can either knot it at the back or just tuck the ties, which would be more comfortable for yoga.


I'll be making more as this is really a garment I need and will use. The tank dress is an old fave: Simplicity 2865, a Built by Wendy pattern. I made it several years ago to wear to class over my yoga gear. As you can see, my yoga capsule is an ongoing project! Do you sew for specific activities?

More on my yoga capsule: Nettie Bodysuit & 90s sarong skirt.

8 comments:

  1. I just love the whole outfit ... The fabric choices .. The color combination !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sasha! I love to sew simple pieces like this: instant gratification!

      Delete
  2. Love this. I hadn't even noticed the wrap in that pattern. Thanks for noting your modifications - 'cause I might shamelessly copy this (my name really is Sara-without-an-h, at least).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sara :) I also slimmed out the base of the ties to avoid having too much bulk around Center Front. So, the ties are somewhere in between view A and B in thickness. I also slimmed out the sleeves quite a bit as I found them very roomy.

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous outfit! You look so elegant. BTW, I've nominated you for Liebster! Run over to the blog to check it out if you want to accept it! Keep up the great sewing :) http://www.coutureacademic.com/awards/a-liebster-happy-kat/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much Kat, for nominating me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's lovely Sara! Very chic as ever on you. I'm determined to try some of my pattern list soon - I've found a few tips on improving buttonholes on cardi's, but my fave tip was using sewn on snaps, and sewing a button over the top on the outside for decoration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I'll be curious to see what you come up with :)

      Delete