Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Nettie Bodysuit + 90s Sarong Skirt


I was amazed when I first saw Closet Case File's Nettie Bodysuit pattern, because with all the thought and effort I've put into my yoga capsule, it never occurred to me that I needed a bodysuit! Doesn't it seem obvious that a bodysuit should be at the core of such a capsule? Donna Karan has said that she always wears one, so she's always yoga ready.
So here is my first attempt. There will be more.


Since Nettie, the lovely inspiration for the pattern has said herself that the high back version can feel very tight across the upper back, I sized up in that area by cutting 2 sizes larger at the back armscye only. I also did a forward shoulder adjustment which is standard for me. Other than that, I can say this bodysuit fits really well, and I love the shape of the front scoop neckline, as well as the low cut leg openings.
I have already tested it out in yoga class, and it performed really well and was very comfortable. It's really nice not having to worry about exposing my belly when upside down, which does happen with my tank tops!
The only changes I will make in the future will be to replace the binding at the leg openings with stretch lace for a seamless look, since I will be wearing my yoga leggings over the bodysuit (the binding is a little bulky). And I might try making a sleeveless version, which would be even more practical for layering. Overall a great basic, and I'm not surprised everyone seems to be making it!


The skirt is a Butterick pattern from the year 1990. Sarong style skirts were very popular in the 90s and there are lots of different patterns to be found.


I chose this one because it is a true wrap, so it's really easy to put on and take off over my yoga gear. I really like this style of skirt because it's a chic pencil silhouette, but with the ease of movement of a wrap skirt.

I made view C, which fastens with hooks and eyes, and the fabric is a lovely cupro which looks and feels like a sand washed silk. I have actually made this skirt before in a drapey wool blend and liked it so much I had to have a summery version.
Remember Jimmy Two Times, from Goodfellas? He said everything twice. Well I make every pattern twice, at least!

More on yoga my yoga wardrobe capsule: Yoga Wrap


16 comments:

  1. I love this outfit! I'll definitely be trying the Nettie pattern soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I want to make more, but I need to find more cotton/lycra knits. Most of my knits are flimsy viscose.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful!! I love it with that skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This outfit looks really good on you, so chic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. J'adore l'ensemble !! Je viens de finir une Nettie aussi mais en version robe! J'espère que j'aurai le temps de la photographier bientôt... Je suis vraiment impressionée par ce patron (et c'est très rare pour moi)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci beaucoup! Je suis curieuse de voir ce que ça donne en version robe!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful combination! I love the skirt/ sarong pattern

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I would ever wear a bodysuit, but I really, really like that skirt. The pattern is great and your version is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! I love that neutral oatmeal (?) colour. Such a good basic! I'm covering some different seam finishes in the sewalong - fold over elastic might be a good option too, especially if you want the snap crotch. It's hard to add a snap crotch with lace tape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather! I hadn't thought of fold-over elastic. that might do the trick!

      Delete
  8. This skirts is adorable! Does it have side seams at all? It looks wonderful on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes it does have side seams :-)

      Delete