Thursday, May 8, 2014

My Peacoat--Me Made May update

MMMAY'14 Day 6
I've been posting my daily outfits to the MMMay'14 Flickr pool. It's really fun to share pics with other members and watch their progress. Some of these women have such beautifully distinctive style! I'm not going to post all my pictures here because I don't think it would be terribly interesting in my case. For me, this experiment is about assessing how balanced and versatile my pared down Spring wardrobe is. I only wish the weather were cooperating so I could actually wear my Spring clothes!


However, I feel like my peacoat deserves its place on this blog. It may show some wear, unlike the new makes I've been posting, but it's one of my favorite garments in my closet. I made it at the end of last Summer and have worn it a lot ever since. I wore it most of Fall, part of Winter, and since it's pretty chilly these days, it's getting worn a lot in Spring. It's always appropriate, goes with everything and I invariably feel good wearing it. It's wonderful when a hand made item becomes such a staple. If you want a versatile coat, make a peacoat!

MMMay'14 Day 3
I'll just say a few words about the pattern. I started off with this 70s Simplicity.


When I muslined it, I found the fit was pretty awful. It was very roomy, which you wouldn't expect from the illustration, and there were diagonal drag lines and all kinds of fit issues, but the collar looked great. I chose to spare myself a lot of trouble battling with this pattern and decided to graft the collar and fronts onto a Burda pattern with similar bones. I chose pattern 121 from the June 2012 issue of Burdastyle because it has shoulder princess seams and no shoulder pads.


For refining the pattern and construction, I referred to the excellent RTW sew-along

Do you have a handmade garment which has become a staple in your closet?

More cassics: Classic ShirtdressSaint Laurent inspired Safari Jacket

18 comments:

  1. !!!!!!!!!!! Sara! Your pea coat is stunning and so beautifully made! I really really love it and gorgeous vintage pattern too. Nice job on the top stitching it looks really really good. REALLY! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, Kat, I'm blushing :) Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Hi Sara, I love this outfit! I was going to do a pick of some of my faves fromMMM so far and was wandering if you would mind me using one of your images from Flickr. Let me know! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, Marilla! I would be honored :)

      Delete
  3. Such a classic ... so well made... Mixing the two patterns was a real touch of genius because the result is stunning !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sasha! Hacking into patterns is fun.

      Delete
  4. This is such a gorgeous jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Waouh ! Superbe ce caban ! Et J'adore l'ensemble de ta tenue sur la 1ère photo !
    Et je suis intriguée par ta photo devant les Capus : tu es sur Bordeaux ou juste de passage dans la région ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci Beaucoup! Oui, ça fait plusieurs années que j'habite à Bordeaux :)

      Delete
  6. Vraiment superbe!! Je suis sans voix...

    ReplyDelete
  7. The coat is amazing! I've never made a coat before. I'm very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beth! Sewing a coat just takes more time than other projects, but with good instructions it's totally doable. The RTW Sewalong really is very helpful.

      Delete
  8. That is a gorgeoussss peacoat !!! I love the way you’ve styled it–I never would have thought to style like that!

    ReplyDelete