Monday, April 14, 2014

Denim Vest



My husband rarely asks me to sew anything for him. He generally thinks it's too much trouble. So much easier (and cheaper, if you factor in your hours) to just go to the shops and buy something. However, sometimes you want something you can't find in the shops. He asked me if I could make him a raw denim vest, in a tailored style, with welt pockets and special details and I was very happy to oblige.


I used pattern 136 from the April 2013 issue of Burdastyle. The pattern as it is designed is quite boxy and shapeless, so I made a few modifications to give it a more fitted look.


I added darts in the back and took in the sides a bit. This pattern is sized for tall men, and though my husband is taller than the reference height, there was too much length in the upper torso and upper back, so I took out tucks there.
I also lowered the V-neck and redesigned the pockets.
We discussed the pockets together. He knew he wanted a welt pocket at the chest...


...and he wanted the lower pockets to button, so he could put stuff in them. I decided on patch pockets because they are nice and strong. No flaps because I thought they would add too much bulk.
I'm really pleased with how they turned out.



Purple lining.



Our daughters disapprove. They say it makes him look like Will Schuester from Glee, but what do kids know ;)



4 comments:

  1. The vest is fantastic and looks very cool on your husband! I think it's great that he asked you to make it. I have made my husband two canvas bags to replace one that he wore out, for shopping at the grocery store. The one thing that he has mentioned clothing-wise is a replacement for his favorite fleece pullover that has seen better days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharan! Yes, I was really happy that he asked me and it was a fun project. For one thing, fitting a muslin on someone other than yourself is so much easier!

      Delete
  2. The vest looks amazing! I approve of your changes to the pockets and the fitting. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete