Thursday, April 24, 2014

Comfy Linen Pants + Fashion Revolution


What I'm sewing is what I want to wear.
When I get up in the morning, if the item I would really love to slip into is not in my closet, then I must make it.

I made these pants, Burda 7250 before, and I really wanted a Summer version. I chose a very soft washed linen with a diagonal weave from my stash. It's a gorgeous slate blue color, the color of Russian Blue cats.
As you know linen wrinkles, but that's part of its beauty. It gives these pants a lived in, laid back vibe which I love.


I've made a few changes to the original pattern. I drafted a contour waistband, added slant pockets and a welt pocket in the back, and altered for fit of course.


I love these and hope to wear them as much as my wintery ones.


I also love my t-shirts. I make some, and some I purchase, and over the years I have bought quite a few from Petit Bateau, the Oh So French brand. There used to be a "Made in France" label in their clothes, but it disappeared several years ago. Now, there is no indication of where the clothes are made, but if you ask the sales staff, which I have done several times in the past few years, they will assure you the clothes are made in France. It seems to me that if that were the case Petit Bateau would be more than happy to put labels stating this loud and clear in their clothes. And if they are producing their clothes in an ethical way in some other country, well that would also be something to be proud of, and they should let us know. The lack of honesty however, might lead us to imagine the worst, don't you agree? So today, a year exactly after the deadly collapse of the Rana Plaza factory in Bangladesh, I was inspired by the Fashion Revolution campaign to email Petit Bateau asking where their t-shirts are made. If you've ever bought a garment from them, would you consider contacting them as well?

19 comments:

  1. love your outfit! pants look great, i love linen too, you made me wonder why don't i sew it more often.. and what a cool looking backdrop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We took the photos right in our neighborhood.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sara!
    First of all love the pants ... love the fabric, the style and what an amazing fit!, I want a pair for myself!!!.
    Second I'm there with you on the Fashion Revolution bit, it's part of why I decided to learn to make my own clothes. When I buy I always read carefully the labels, I prefer spending a bit more and get a quality item made by a company which declares its origin and composition. My fiancee got me as a present a Marina d'Este scarf... on the label says Styled in Italy Made Outside EU.!!...and where that might be? I bet the person who designed it doesn't even know, it's probable they outsourced the entire production to a third party. It's a beautiful scarf but there's a high chance it was made by a woman or child working twenty hour shifts in a sweatshop somewhere for 25 cents a day - one might argue that if you do not buy what they make they won't even have those 25 cents a day and they would starve. I would hope that is not the case and instead the designing company would urge the manufacturer to revise its practices or otherwise change manufacturer.
    And because it's Fashion Revolution Day and we're talking labels I cannot but mention Terese Agnew's impressive "Portrait of a Textile Worker" (2005)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what an amazing piece! Thanks for bringing it up Sasha.
      Sewing gives us a bit of independence from the garment industry. We know the clothes we made caused no hardship and that's pretty great!

      Delete
  3. Yes, this is why most of my wardrobe is made by me. Lovely outfit, and those pants are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary! I've made quite a few not so perfect pants in the past, but they get better every time.

      Delete
  4. I love these! I love linen too and agree that the wrinkles are just part of the look - there are so many other charming features about linen. I really like the slim at the ankle look too - and with that laid back T....great outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny, I was looking for this pattern today, and it was sold out!
    I'm always suspicious when labels don't say where things were made - how are we to make an educated decision on our purchasing? Here's to more transparency in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chloe! You could download it from the German Burdastyle website if you don't mind printing it out. http://www.burdastyle.de/burda-style/damen/chino-bundfalten-schmale-hosenbeine-weitere-hosen_pid_331_6947.html

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the tip Sara! The english site doesn't have the paper patterns available as downloads, so this was great!

      Delete
  6. Such beautiful sewing on your blog!
    I'm inspired to begin sewing again for myself ..
    thank so much for the inspiration
    Barbara :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara. It means a lot!

      Delete
  7. Sara these are fabulously chic. My first attempt at this pattern was a bit mediocre but I must try again. Thanks for reigniting my ambition! :) ps - any word back from petit bateau?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I think using a fluid fabric is key. No word from Petit Bateau, and I'm not surprised. I will contact them again though, with a link to this post.

      Delete
  8. Love your blog, Sara, and your style. I must make an exact copy of those pants, post haste. I agree with you as well on the clothing origins issue. I have made my own sweaters for a long time and now am back to making most of my own clothing. When I am in Italy, as now (my partner is Italian), I buy only goods made here. Where I live normally (Canada) it is impossible to buy clothing made locally. Here, fortunately, some small producers are rebuilding and some young entrepreneurs are starting to sell handmade clothing. I hope this gains momentum. Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Stephanie! I just checked out your blog and it's terrific! I will go back and read some more.
      I never heard back from Petit Bateau, so I sent them another email. Maybe if they see that there have been responses to this blog post, they will be moved to answer me.

      Delete
  9. Thanks, Sara, that's really kind. I wish I could post interesting stuff about sewing and knitting as you do but posting my photo online at the moment would be difficult because of the work that I do. That said, I am busy sewing quite a bit right now so I love to read interesting sewing and knitting blogs such as yours. I mostly write about nonsense for my own pleasure/an outlet outside of work and don't expect anyone to read. :) I look forward to reading more about your sewing projects as you have great taste and of course I'll be interested in hearing about how you get on with Petit Bateau!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wordless Nice linen pants, It's looks like awesome dress. thanks for sharing.....

    ReplyDelete