Friday, March 28, 2014

Classic Shirtdress



I didn't have the 70s Halston shirtdress pattern, so I used pattern 114 from the April 2010 issue of Burdastyle which is a similar classic style. I used the long sleeves from its sister shirt pattern, #116.

The fabric is a very crisp cotton poplin which feels and sounds almost like taffeta when you brush your fingers over it. It didn't turn out to be the easiest fabric to work with, but I like its stiff drape. Wearing it makes me feel very put together. It would be fun to make the same dress in a softer fabric for a more relaxed feel.

I added a box pleat in the back.



I did a forward shoulder adjustment. It looks pretty good when I stand straight.

  


Of course when I move, my shoulder can jerk further forward and it still looks off. That's the thing about clothes, you move around in them!



I'm really glad I got a head start on my Spring sewing. So far, a jacketa blouse and this shirtdress.
The weather is supposed to be really nice this weekend. Maybe I'll be inspired to switch out my closet to my warm weather clothes!
What have you sewn for the new season?

9 comments:

  1. Hi Sara ! This shirtdrees you've made is such a classic ... love the color and the box pleat is a nice touch. I have yet to start sewing for this season ... gotta get moving ... but I seem to have some difficulty deciding there are so many things I'd like to sew. I should have chosen a theme like you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sasha. You don't have to have everything figured out before you get started on your Spring wardrobe. Just start with one item and build it up from there!

      Delete
  2. Ta robe est très sympa. Un côté rétro mais intemporel vachement chouette. Je découvre ton blog via thread&needles, et j'ai reconnu tout de suite les rues de Bordeaux ;) Nous sommes presques voisines (je viens de m'installer dans les Landes). Je vais aller voir tes autre posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci beaucoup, chère voisine :)

      Delete
  3. It's beautiful, and you look beautiful in it! The length is just perfect, and I love the width of the belt. I notice that two of your Spring pieces are solid colors, which makes them so versatile for your wardrobe. I'm always drawn to print fabrics; for some reason, I rarely make things out of solids. (Oh, having said that, I realize I made a tee out of solids yesterday--but it was pieced with two different fabrics in very close shades of taupe.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharan, and thank you!
      I love prints, but I do find that for putting together a wearable wardrobe it helps to have a core of solids.

      Delete
  4. That is seriously beautiful and I really like your choice of fabric and the colour - it has a beautiful tailored coat dress look about it. I'll have to take a look at that pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this shirt dress looks very lovely on you! I love the color, you look very confident in it, congrats :)

    ReplyDelete