Monday, February 3, 2014

Sewing a wardrobe you love.



Sarai has an excellent series of articles right now on Coletterie called "Wardrobe Architect". In her own words, it's about "crafting a small wardrobe that reflects who you are".
I find the 3rd installment particularly interesting. She has us rate different garment shapes on a scale from 1 to 10 (10 being the highest), according to how happy we feel wearing them. This is brilliant! There are so many articles available on the internet for building capsule wardrobes based on mathematical formulas or determining what clothes you should wear based on your body type. Letting the happiness factor guide you is a really fresh and exciting perspective.

After doing the worksheet, I realized that for a pared down, functional wardrobe that I would truly love, I could easily limit myself to the shapes I rated with a 10. Since these are the garments that make me happiest, why settle for anything less?
It's difficult to find clothes with just the right shape, length, ease and color in the shops, but when you sew, I think it really becomes an attainable goal.
Following these guidelines, my clothes would all have a fluid fit (not too fitted, not too loose). Tops would be hip length, sleeveless or long sleeved and with either a V neck or turtleneck. Skirts and dresses would be knee length with a defined waist either at the natural waistline or at the hips. Pants would be full length and low waisted.
There! Everything else in my wardrobe really might be superfluous.

So, this brings me to the picture at the top of this post : The iconic Halston shirt dress. I have a thing for 70s pattern illustrations. They channel the easy elegance that I think is the essence of that decade.
The shirt dress embodies my ideal proportions. V necked when the top buttons are left undone, knee length and slightly loose fitting but structured with a tie belt. They are comfortable and make me happy. I will be sewing a shirt dress this season!

2 comments:

  1. I've started doing this type of wardrobe planning on my current clothes, and my future clothing wishes; but sewing would definitely make it easier to get the shapes/colors/textures I'm looking for. Time to get back into the sewing mindset!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Vivan! Sewing certainly gives you more control but it comes with its own set of constraints. I'm planning a post about some thought I've had on sewing a minimalist wardrobe.

      Delete