Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Safari Jacket Inspiration

Grace Kelly in Mogambo


I think a jacket is the piece which can really tie a Spring wardrobe together. I have such a jacket which has been getting a lot of wear for several years now. It is a safari style jacket in an army green cotton and it really goes with everything. It is the only jacket I take when traveling in the Summer. Very convenient since it is unlined and washable, but it is worn out and in need of a replacement.

So, I have been looking at a lot of pictures of Safari jackets and even set up a pinterest board for reference.
Even though Yves Saint Laurent is often credited with popularizing the safari jacket for city wear, it seems it was quite fashionable in the 50s, as this Vogue cover would attest.


1950s safari jacket Vogue cover


Style wise, my preference goes to Yves Saint Laurent's early 70s versions, as they are functional with very large pockets and have all the features of a shirt-jacket : unlined with flat-felled seams, button band, shirt collar and cuffs. No fuss. I like their long and slim proportions. This will be my inspiration jacket :

Yves Saint Laurent 1969 Safari Jacket


In the 80s and 90s, designer safari jackets tended to be more voluminous, with big shoulders, cinched waists and flared hips and were often made of luxe materials.
More recent versions have shrunken proportions and tend to be very refined with many details and hardware. I want to keep things simple with this jacket, so I'm sticking with the original Saint Laurent.

Time to get to work!



No comments:

Post a Comment